- 2 medium acorn squash, halved, seeds removed
- 1 Tbsp Eden Safflower Oil, for oiling the squash skin and baking pan
- 1 Tbsp Eden Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for sautéing vegetables
- 1/3 cup onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup celery, minced
- 1 cup Unsweetened Edensoy
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp Eden Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Eden Black Pepper
- 1 cup organic yellow corn grits (polenta), coarsely ground variety
- 1/4 tsp dried sage, or dried poultry seasoning
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1 pinch dried rosemary
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, dry pan roasted
- 2 or 3 drop Eden Tamari or Shoyu Soy Sauce, for season sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
Preheat the oven to 400°. Lightly oil the squash skin and the inside and top of the cut acorn squash with safflower oil. Lightly oil a baking pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until tender when poked with a fork or knife.
While squash bakes, make the polenta. Heat up the olive oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the onions and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the celery and sauté 2 minutes. Add the Edensoy, water, sea salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Whisk in the polenta, stirring constantly, and bring to a boil. Reduce the flame to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes or until thick. Remove from the heat.
Rinse the sunflower seeds and dry roast about 7 to 10 minutes over medium heat until slightly brown. Add soy sauce and stir to mix. Remove from heat.
Stir the sage, thyme and rosemary into the polenta. Add extra pepper or sea salt if desired.
Remove the squash from the oven. Fill each squash half with polenta. Sprinkle the sunflower seeds over the polenta. Garnish with parsley. Return to the oven and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the topping begins to brown slightly. Remove and place on a serving platter.
Per serving - 502 calories, 15 g fat (26% calories from fat), 14 g protein, 82 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 137 mg sodium