- 1 cup Eden Dried Wild Blueberries, 2 packages
- 1 cup Eden Dried Cranberries
- 1 cup Eden Dried Montmorency Cherries, 2 packages
- 5 cups organic apple juice
- 1 pinch Eden Sea Salt
- 2 Tbsp Eden Cherry Juice Concentrate
- 1/3 cup organic maple syrup
- 5 Tbsp Eden Kuzu Root Starch
- 6 Tbsp cold water, for dissolving kuzu
- 2 cups Eden Kamut Flakes, or Oat Flakes
- 1 cup Eden Short Grain Brown Rice Whole Grain Organic Flour
- 2 cups Eden Soft White Pastry Wheat Whole Grain Organic Flour
- 1 cup organic sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tsp Eden Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Eden Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup organic apple juice
- 3 Tbsp organic maple syrup
Place the three types dried fruit in a large saucepan with the apple juice, sea salt, cherry juice concentrate and maple syrup. Bring to a boil, reduce the flame to low and simmer for 10 minutes. In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the kuzu and cold water. Stir until it is completely dissolved. Add the dissolved kuzu, a little at a time, to the cooked fruit while stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute until thick. Turn off the flame and allow to cool while making the crust.
Preheat the oven to 350°. To prepare the crust and topping, roast the oats in a dry skillet until slightly browned and they release a nutty aroma. Remove and place in a medium mixing bowl. Dry roast the sunflower seeds, stirring constantly, until slightly browned. Place in a food processor or blender, and pulse just until a coarse consistency. Combine with the oats. Add the flours and sea salt, and mix. Add the vanilla, olive oil apple juice and maple syrup, and mix again.
Lightly oil a 11 1/2" x 16 1/2" baking sheet. Sprinkle 3/4 of the crust mixture over the baking sheet. With a spatula or rolling pin press the crust mixture down until flat and evenly covering the bottom of the sheet. Spread the cooked fruit evenly over the crust with a spoon. Take the remaining crust mixture and sprinkle it on top of the fruit. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 20 minutes or so before cutting into squares.
Yield: approximately 30 squares 2" x 2"
Per serving - 227 calories, 7 g fat (26% calories from fat), 4 g protein, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 46 mg sodium