- 4 cups sour cherries, pitted
or two 14.5 oz canned, unsweetened, sour cherries, do not drain
- 1 cup Eden Cherry Juice, (if using canned cherries, reduce to 1/2 cup juice)
- 3 Tbsp organic maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Eden Kuzu Root Starch, dissolved in 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/2 cups Eden Soft White Pastry Wheat Whole Grain Organic Flour
- 1/2 tsp non-aluminum baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Eden Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Eden Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cups Unsweetened Edensoy
Place the cherries, juice and pinch of sea salt in a medium saucepan, cover, bring to a boil. Reduce the flame to low and simmer about 5 to 7 minutes until the cherries are tender. Pour the dissolved kuzu into the cherries, stirring constantly to prevent lumping until the juice thickens. Set aside and let cool while making the dough.
Preheat the oven to 375°. To make the dough, combine the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk the wet ingredients together in a small bowl. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, mixing to form a ball of dough. Divide the dough into four equal size balls. Flour a pastry clothe, board or counter and roll out each ball of dough into 5 to 6-inch rounds. Filling one at a time, place 1/2 cup filling in the center of each rolled portion of dough. Quickly fold the dough over the filling and crimp the edges with a fork to seal the dough. Using a fork make indentations in the top of each turnover, to allow heat to escape while cooking. Place the tarts on a large cookie sheet and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until the tarts are golden brown on the bottom. Remove and allow to cool.
Yield: 4 6-inch tarts
Per serving - 367 calories, 15 g fat (36% calories from fat), 5 g protein, 58 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 189 mg sodium