- 1 1/2 cups organic corn grits (polenta), fine ground
- 3 cups water
- 1 pinch Eden Sea Salt
- 2 Tbsp Eden Extra Virgin Olive Oil
or Eden Black Sesame Oil
- 6 Tbsp organic unbleached white flour
- 1 cup water, including reserved shiitake soaking water
- 1/2 tsp Eden Sea Salt, or to taste
- 2 cups Unsweetened Edensoy, or Original
- 1 cup Eden Maitake Mushrooms, soaked 10 min. in hot water to cover
- 1/2 cup Eden Sliced Shiitake Mushrooms, soaked 10 min. in 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 Tbsp Eden Mirin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Eden Dried Basil
- 1/4 tsp Eden Dried Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Eden Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- Eden Safflower Oil, or Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for frying the polenta slices
Bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add salt and whisk in the polenta, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Pour polenta into a shallow glass baking dish, spread out evenly with a spoon until about 1/2 inch thick. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
Prepare the gravy before frying the polenta slices. Heat olive oil in a skillet and sauté garlic and mushrooms for 2 to 3 minutes. Add flour and sauté, mixing constantly, until vegetables are coated with flour. Combine mushroom soaking waters with Edensoy. Slowly whisk in the liquid, stirring constantly until it becomes thick. Add sea salt, mirin, oregano, and basil. Simmer uncovered on low for 10 minutes.
While sauce is cooking, slice polenta into squares or rectangles. Oil a skillet or griddle with safflower oil. Pan fry slices until golden and crisp on both sides.
Add pepper to gravy and mix. Ladle gravy over individual servings of polenta and garnish with parsley to serve.
Per serving - 391 calories, 7 g fat (16% calories from fat), 19 g protein, 68 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 264 mg sodium