- 10 slices whole grain bread, about 8 cups, cubed
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Eden Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for sautéing vegetables
- 1 cup onion, diced small
- 1 cup celery, diced small
- 1/2 cup button mushrooms, diced small
- 1/4 cup Eden Sliced Shiitake Mushrooms, soaked 10 minutes in 1/2 cup warm water to cover, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Edensoy Unsweetened, or Original
- 2 tsp Eden Shoyu Soy Sauce, or to taste
- 3/4 tsp ground sage, or dried poultry seasoning
- 2 medium acorn squash, halved, seeds removed
- 1 Tbsp Eden Safflower Oil, for oiling the squash skin and baking pan
Preheat the oven to 350°. To prepare the stuffing, heat the oil in a skillet and sauté the onions for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, celery and shoyu. Sauté another 5 minutes. Place the sautéed vegetables in a mixing bowl. Add the bread cubes, Edensoy and sage. Mix well. Add more shoyu and sage, if desired.
Lightly oil the skin of the squash with safflower oil. Stuff each squash half with equal amounts of stuffing. Cover with foil and place in a baking dish. Bake for 40 minutes until the squash is tender when poked with a fork. Remove the foil and bake another 5 minutes or so to lightly brown the stuffing. Place on a serving platter.
Per serving - 468 calories, 14 g fat (25% calories from fat), 15 g protein, 78 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 737 mg sodium