- 8 ounces any Eden Udon, 1 package
- 0.88 ounces Eden Whole Shiitake Mushrooms, 1 package
- 4 cups water, including reserved shiitake soaking water
- 1/3 cup onion, finely diced
- 1/2 pound organic extra firm tofu, sliced into 1/2 inch thick rectangular slices
- 4 Tbsp Eden Sesame Oil, for frying tofu
- 1/4 piece Eden Kombu, 2 inches long
- 5 Tbsp Eden Kuzu Root Starch, dissolved in 6 Tbsp. cold water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Eden Shoyu Soy Sauce, or to taste
- 1/4 cup Eden Bonito Flakes, crushed for garnish, optional
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger root, finely grated
- 1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced for garnish
Soak shiitake in hot water to cover for 20 minutes, remove and reserve water. Remove the stems and discard. Thinly slice the caps. Cook udon as package directs, rinse, drain and set aside. Heat up oil in a skillet and fry the tofu until golden brown, flip over and fry the other side until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Slice the tofu into thin strips and set aside.
To prepare the broth, place the shiitake, kombu, onions, fried tofu, shiitake soaking water and water in a pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce flame and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the kombu and use in another dish or discard. Reduce flame to low. Add the diluted kuzu to the broth, stirring constantly until the broth is thick. Add the shoyu and simmer 3 to 5 minutes. Place the udon in serving bowls and ladle the thick broth over each serving. Garnish each serving with equal portions of ginger, scallion and bonito flakes, if desired. Very warming on a cold winters day!
Per serving - 367 calories, 14 g fat (35% calories from fat), 15 g protein, 46 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 391 mg sodium