- 1/2 cup organic white rice, rinsed
white sushi rice, or white basmati rice
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds, remove skins, see Note:
- 2 Tbsp Eden Barley Malt Syrup, or organic maple syrup
- 2 1/2 cups Vanilla Edensoy, or Extra Vanilla
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup tangerine, orange, or lemon slices, for garnish
Bring the water to a boil. Place the rice in a bowl and pour the water over it. Let soak for 4 hours. Pour into a food processor and blend 3 to 5 minutes until the rice is ground fine. Add the vanilla, sweetener and blanched almonds and blend again until the almonds are crushed. Bring the Edensoy almost to a boil and add to the processor. Blend again several seconds. Place the horchata in a large glass jar and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours or up to 3 days to chill. Strain through clean cotton cheesecloth to remove hard pieces of rice. To serve, pour into a glass and garnish with a slice of any of the suggested citrus slices.
Note: To remove the skins from the almonds, after boiling, squeeze the almonds with your fingers and the skins slip off.
Per serving - 274 calories, 7 g fat (22% calories from fat), 9 g protein, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 69 mg sodium