140 years ago the United States had about 22,000 commercial flourmills, now there are less than 200, less than 1%. The clever ability to turn grain into its three components, selling the carbohydrates as ‘refined’ and ‘enriched’ flour to people, was done so that the other two pieces, the bran and germ, could be sold as inappropriately cheap and very nutritious animal feed.
This misguided centralized milling scheme created monopolies that rob citizens of wealth, replacing it with overvalued, superficially sensual food encouraging a monoculture society where freedom at all levels inextricably erodes.
The removal of bran and germ from grain to ‘extend shelf life’ while at the same time providing abundant cheap animal feed seemed like a good and profitable idea at the time. However, removing essential nutrients from our diets including fiber, fatty acids, B vitamins, and countless others including minerals and phytonutrient antioxidants, has caused untold suffering in personal and societal degradation.
The unforeseen long-term consequence of this adulteration has been catastrophic. Worldwide nutritional deficiencies have caused an ongoing epidemic of health woes. “Frankly, we are only just realizing the nutritional fallout from almost eliminating whole grains from our diet over the past 100 years... switching to whole grains is one of the most important things you can do for your health,” says Elaine Magee, RD, of the WebMD Weight Loss Clinic. After dozens of studies, the medical community and the U.S. government now acknowledge the irrefutable role of whole grain in health, and a movement back to whole grain is finally taking place. Organic EDEN grains are the finest and most delicious that can be found.
Let us reverse the question, ‘Why is good food so expensive?’ to, ‘Why is bad food so cheap?’ In even a cursory review of the latter question you begin to discover why social priorities have been turned upside down.
Nutritional Integrity Protected
Whole grain has three main components: bran, germ, and endosperm. Each is a valuable source of nutrients that are greatly reduced in, or completely removed from, refined grain. Organic EDEN whole grains are 100% whole grain. They are not reconstituted to meet government rules for ‘whole grain’ claims. Eden Foods works to maintain integrity of all the nutritional components for all of its whole grain.
- EDEN Millet North Dakota - Cooks up mildly sweet, light, and fluffy in 30 minutes. Extremely versatile as an entrée, in soups, stews, as or in porridge, stuffing, grain burgers, and in bread, baked goods, or pancake-waffle mixes.
- EDEN Buckwheat North Dakota - Despite its name, buckwheat is wheat-free and not related to wheat. Hulled buckwheat groats cook up light and fluffy in just 20 minutes and are very energizing. High in fiber, thiamin B1, and magnesium, and a good source of protein and niacin B3. It is Nature's best source of the important nutrient rutin. Enjoy buckwheat as an entrée, as or in porridge, in soups, salad, stuffed cabbage, and grain burgers. It is versatile.
- EDEN Wild Rice Hand harvested by Minnesota's Leech Lake band of Ojibwe Native Americans in canoes, as required by law. Wood fire parching seals in its complete protein richness and imparts delicious mellow flavor. Unlike black, paddy-grown imitation wild rice hybrids, EDEN wild rice is quick cooking whole grain that cooks up light and fluffy.
- EDEN Quinoa Sustainably organic from over 12,000 feet in the Andes, this quinoa is helping preserve native culture. Quinoa offers complete protein with the best amino acid profile of all grain. It is rich in magnesium, a good source of fiber and valuable B vitamins. It cooks in just 12 minutes.
- EDEN Red Quinoa Prized high altitude Pasankalla variety, family plot organically grown high in the Andes. This quick cooking, award-winning grain is rich in fiber, folate B9, and magnesium, and is a good source of protein, iron, thiamin B1, and riboflavin B2. Red quinoa is a little sweeter than white and cooks up fluffy in just 12 minutes.
- EDEN Popcorn Yellow popcorn with superior popping qualities - large, fluffy, extraordinarily delicious popped kernels. Popcorn is America's #1 favorite snack, over 70% of it enjoyed at home. This whole grain snack is also a good breakfast food, low fat, fiber rich, delivers polyphenol antioxidants, and doesn't spoil ones appetite.
Every organic EDEN 100% whole grain is quick cooking and Gluten Free. They come in resealable standing pouch bags chosen for their protective oxygen, moisture, and light barrier features that protect freshness, flavor, and nutrients. pareve