- 1/2 cup Eden Brown Rice Flakes
- 15 ounces Eden Garbanzo Beans, drained
- 15 ounces Eden Moroccan Rice & Garbanzo Beans
- Eden Safflower or Sesame Oil, for deep frying falafel
- 6 Tbsp EDEN Sesame Tahini
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 2 Tbsp onion, finely grated
- 1/2 tsp Eden Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp parsley, minced
or 1 teaspoon EDEN Dried Parsley
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 organic whole wheat pita pockets
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
or 5 cups baby salad greens
- 1/2 cup carrot, coarsely grated
To make falafel, start by placing rice flakes in a food processor or blender and pulse once or twice. Pour into a medium mixing bowl. Place garbanzo beans in a food processor or blender and puree until creamy. Add to mixing bowl with rice flakes and Moroccan Rice and Beans and mix thoroughly. Let sit 15 minutes. Take about 3 tablespoons of the mix at a time and roll into 1 1/2" diameter balls and flatten slightly. Place on a tray or plate.
Heat oil in a deep fryer or heavy pot. Add several falafel to the oil at a time and deep fry until golden brown. Do not overfill as it will lower the oil temperature, creating soggy falafel. Remove and drain on paper towels. Repeat until all falafel are fried.
To make dressing, take all dressing ingredients and blend together until creamy and smooth.
Heat pita bread in a 350° F. oven until warm. Remove and slice into wedges. Arrange equal amounts of lettuce, cucumber, tomato, and carrot on each serving plate. Place several slices of pita on each plate and 3 falafel. Spoon tahini lemon sauce over each salad and serve.
Yields: Approximately 16 falafel
Per serving - 463 calories, 15 g fat (28% calories from fat), 18 g protein, 69 g carbohydrate, 14 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 594 mg sodium