- 1 1/2 Tbsp Eden Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup leeks, cleaned well, white part only, sliced thin
- 4 cup vegetable stock
or Kombu Dashi (soup stock), see Eden's recipe
- 2 tsp fresh ginger root, finely grated
- 2 pounds carrots, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Eden Sea Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Eden Black Pepper
- .88 ounces Eden Sliced Shiitake Mushrooms, 1 package, soaked 5 minutes in 1 cup cold water, reserve soaking water
- 2 tsp fresh chives, parsley, or scallions, minced
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium soup pot and sauté the garlic, onions and ginger for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the carrots, vegetable stock, shiitake soaking water, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the flame to medium-low and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
While the carrots are cooking, heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil and sauté the shiitake for 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside until the soup ingredients are ready to puree.
When the soup is done, puree in a blender until creamy. Place back in the pot and add half of the shiitake. Cover and simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes. Place in serving bowls and garnish each bowl with equal amounts of the remaining shiitake and chives or parsley. Serve.
Per serving - 141 calories, 5 g fat (28% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 23 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 249 mg sodium