- 1 1/2 cups organic finely ground corn grits (polenta)
- 3 cups water, including reserved shiitake soaking water
- 1 pinch Eden Sea Salt
- 1 cup Eden Sliced Shiitake Mushrooms, soaked 10 minutes in warm water to cover
- 1 cup button mushrooms, stems removed, sliced
- 2 tsp Eden Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 25 ounces Eden Spaghetti Sauce, or Spaghetti Sauce - No Salt
- 1/4 tsp Eden Dried Basil
- 2 tsp Eden Safflower Oil, or Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for frying the polenta squares
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
Bring the water (including mushroom soaking water) and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the polenta. Stir constantly until it begins to thicken. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Pour the polenta into a shallow lightly oiled glass baking dish and smooth out to about 1/2 inch thick. Refrigerate 1 hour or until the polenta is firm. Slice the polenta into squares or rectangles.
To prepare the sauce, heat the oil in a skillet and sauté the garlic, onions, and mushrooms for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the spaghetti sauce and basil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. While the sauce is cooking, pan fry the polenta.
Oil a cast iron skillet or griddle with safflower oil and pan fry the slices on each side until golden and crisp. Place on a serving platter.
Ladle the tomato sauce over the polenta when serving. Garnish with parsley.
Per serving - 360 calories, 4 g fat (11% calories from fat), 10 g protein, 68 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 326 mg sodium