1,330 free recipes at www.edenfoods.com
Serves 5 | Prep Time 30 minutes | Cook Time 1 hour
• 3/4 cup Eden Short or Medium Grain Brown Rice, washed and drained
• 3/4 cup Eden Pearled Barley, washed and drained
or whole barley
• 1 cup Eden Sliced Shiitake Mushrooms, soaked 10 minutes in 1 cup warm water, reserve soaking water
• 1/2 cup Eden Maitake Mushrooms, soaked 20 minutes in 1 cup hot water, reserve soaking water
• 2 cup onion, diced
• 2 Tbsp Eden Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 1/4 tsp Eden Sea Salt
• 1/4 tsp Eden Black Pepper
• 1/4 tsp Eden Ground Thyme, or sage
• 4 cup water, including reserved mushroom soaking water
• 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced for garnish
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the onions for 10 minutes. Add the celery and mushrooms. Sauté another 5 minutes over a medium-low flame. Remove from the flame.
Note: If using whole barley, soak overnight or 6 to 8 hours and simmer in the soaking water for about 1 hour before combining with rice.
Heat up a skillet and dry roast the rice and barley over a high flame until most of the water from washing the grain has evaporated. Reduce the flame to medium-low and dry roast 3 to 4 minutes longer. Place in a baking dish. Add the onions, celery and mushrooms. Bring the water to a boil and pour over the rice. Mix in the salt, pepper and thyme. Cover the baking dish and bake for 1 hour at 350° until the grain is tender. Remove and mix in the parsley. Serve.
Per serving: 305 calories, 7g fat (19% calories from fat), 12g protein, 53g carbohydrate, 9g fiber, 0mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium