Health & Longevity
9 February 2016
The longest living and healthiest people on Earth are Japanese. They continue to work, hike, and garden in their 80s, 90s, and beyond. Such hardy longevity is in no small part due to exercise and good eating habits.
Some of the world's most intuitively intelligent foods were developed in ancient Japan. They are pinnacles of human specific nourishment, made using methods dating back thousands of years. These foods are a notable benefit coming to the West from the ‘East meets West‘ cultural convergence; access to them, knowledge about them, and how to prepare and enjoy them. They begin to show us how food can be used to manage our well-being and that of those we serve.
Thanks to the work and dedication of Mr. George Ohsawa (the founder of modern Macrobiotics) and his students, understanding of these fortifying and healing traditional foods has spread worldwide and their popularity is growing strong.
Eden Foods has cultivated trade relations with Japanese artisans dedicated to traditional food making for miso, shoyu soy sauces, sea vegetables, and a variety of healthy foods since 1972. This has helped preserve valuable cultural production and lifestyles. Eden has become a respected, reliable, and the largest purveyor of macrobiotic natural foods in the world. We offer more than seventy-five (75) of these remarkable specialty foods.
- Kuzu Root Starch - Certified organic wild, hand-harvested mountain kuzu root. A strengthening, extremely healthful thickening starch for sauces, gravies, soups, desserts, etc.
- Lotus Root Slices - From the prized Asian water lily root, washed, sliced, and sun-dried. Soak to reconstitute then use as fresh, add to vegetable, soups, and stews for a creamy smooth, crunchy texture.
- Maitake Mushrooms - ‘Hen of the Woods’ a revered culinary and fortifying dried mushroom. Soak to reconstitute then use as fresh mushrooms. Succulent flavor and firm texture. Researchers called it ‘King of Mushrooms’ for its beneficial properties. Rich in vitamin D - 35% Daily Value (DV) per serving. Mushrooms are the only vegetable source of vitamin D!
- Whole Shiitake Mushrooms - Finest ‘donko’ grade, forest grown on oak logs, hand harvested, and sun dried. A revered time-honored health food, today it is the center of a great deal of medical research. Rich in vitamin D, 25% DV.
- Sliced Shiitake Mushrooms - Oak log grown in native forest habitat, hand harvested, sliced, and sun dried. Rich in vitamin D.
- Shiso Leaf Powder - Flavorful, tangy condiment of pickled red shiso (beefsteak) leaves, sun dried, and slowly ground. Sprinkle on grains, salads, noodles, fish, popcorn, etc.
- Pickled Ginger - Thin slices of fresh ginger root pickled with red shiso (beefsteak) leaves. No red dye, preservatives, or refined sugar that are common to the sushi bar variety.
- Dried Tofu - Made from U.S.A. Non-GMO soybeans, frozen and thawed outside over 20 winter days and nights, pressed, sliced, and air dried. Long ago a Buddhist monk left his tofu in the snow and discovered a method of food preservation, freeze-drying.
- Bonito Flakes - The finest sashimi grade skipjack tuna Katsuwonus pelamis prepared using a 500-year-old method. Filleted, steamed, air dried, aged, and shaved into delicate flakes. Used in dashi noodle broth and wherever savory flavor is called for.
- Dried Daikon Radish - Finely sliced sun dried daikon radish with pleasant, sweet flavor. A diuretic radish that metabolizes fat, use it for soups, stews, and vegetable dishes. It is also steeped for a famous balancing tea.
- Pickled Daikon Radish - Sun dried and ‘nuka’ pickled with rice bran and sea salt in wooden kegs.
- Tekka - A miso condiment with minced carrots, burdock root, and lotus root slowly cooked with unrefined sesame oil and traditional hacho miso.
- Umeboshi Plums - Pickled with red shiso (beefsteak) leaves and aged for one year. Ideal for sushi and rice balls. They add a bright tartness to dressings, dips, and sauces, and are highly valued as a digestive aid. Japan's ‘chicken soup’ for cold and flu season is okayu, a thin rice porridge with umeboshi.
- Umeboshi Paste - Condiment of pickled, pureed umeboshi plum. For corn on the cob, dips, sauces, sushi, salad dressing, and wherever tangy tartness is needed.
- Wasabi Powder - A rarity with real wasabi root, valued for its fiery flavor and purifying qualities. A sushi essential, it adds zest to salad dressings, marinades, dips, and vinaigrettes. Hot and stimulating. No artificial colors or additives.
EDEN brand macrobiotic, imported items are ancient health foods. Their fortifying benefits are affirmed in modern research. Enjoy them in traditional and imaginative ways. Visit edenfoods.com for hundreds of free recipes and ideas. Gluten Free and pareve offerings.
Pure food, properly prepared, will strengthen and transform us while nurturing intuition.
The simple elegance of a dish is only possible with vibrant, pure, properly handled food.
©2020 Eden Foods, Inc.