You need not go to Japan or even a Japanese restaurant to experience Japanese cuisine. The EDEN Dashi-Miso Basket provides you with all the ingredients, including dashi recipes, needed to create and experience the depth of flavor loved worldwide in Japanese food. Whether you are a seasoned Japanese chef or novice who just loves to experiment, you'll appreciate this gift. 100% GMO-free ingredients.
Dashi is an all-purpose stock and secret ingredient used in making miso soups and the ubiquitous, versatile noodle broth. It's also used as a base for salad dressings, dipping sauces, and bastes.
Early in learning to prepare Japanese food is the making dashi step. The nature of ingredients determines the character of dashi. The selections in this Dashi-Miso Basket are traditionally crafted in centuries old ways without chemicals, coloring agents, MSG, artificial enzymes or additives found in modern, cheap, adulterated imitations.
The EDEN Dashi Miso Basket is a beautiful 13 inch, green and golden wicker basket with movable handle. The basket is filled with ten Eden items plus a 40 page Easy EDEN Recipe Booklet, as well as recipes for several types of dashi. The basket includes:
- EDEN Kombu - Wild grown in pure Arctic currents off Hokkaido, an area famous for its kombu. Hand harvested and naturally sun dried, tender, central fronds. Low sodium and loaded with trace minerals. Use a small piece in all soups, not just dashi.
- EDEN Bonito Flakes - delicate curls of the finest sashimi grade dried fish. Bonito (skipjack mackerel) is prepared using 500 year old methods. Fillets are steamed, aged, air dried, and shaved into flakes. Bonito flakes are used in making dashi imparting a savory, rich flavor called 'umami' in Japan. They're great in baked beans, scalloped potatoes, and clam chowder. We like 'em crumbled on pizza.
- EDEN Sliced Shiitake Mushrooms - a common dashi ingredient. EDEN Sliced Shiitake Mushrooms are grown in native forests on oak logs, hand harvested, sliced, and sun dried.
- EDEN Mirin - sweet, rice cooking wine patiently fermented in cedar kegs. This highly regarded mirin is called 'Ajino-haha' in Japan. Mirin's delicate, sweet flavor balances salty flavors of soy sauce and miso in dashi noodle broths. It is a great seasoning for tofu, tempeh, fish, vegetables, sauces, marinades, soups, gravies, and in salad dressings.
- EDEN Selected Shoyu Soy Sauce - whole non-GMO soybeans and whole wheat brewed by masters skilled in ancient methods. Aged in wood casks for up to two years. Its complex flavor harmonizes and enhances flavors of foods. Extraordinary deep flavor and irresistible aroma. An essential seasoning for noodle broth, dipping sauces, and teriyaki sauces.
- EDEN Organic Genmai Miso - a mellow, sweet, golden miso made of USA organic soybeans and organic brown rice, aged in cedar kegs for 18 months. Excellent all purpose miso well suited for everyday use and traditional miso soup.
- EDEN Organic Shiro Miso - the lightest, sweetest tasting miso made of organic rice, USA organic whole soybeans, water, sea salt and koji Aspergillus oryzae spores. Although not low sodium, it has less than half the sodium of other misos. Great for miso soup, dip sauces, marinades, salad dressings and spreads. It's the most popular miso in Japan today.
- EDEN Instant Wakame Flakes - wakame is the bright green in miso soup. This is a wakame grade referred to as 'Sanriku-san' meaning top quality and highly valued. Low sodium and quick to use. Already sliced and washed it is used right out of the bag, no preparation required. Just add to soup stock before seasoning or soak briefly for salads.
- EDEN Organic Soba - a popular traditional Japanese noodle made of organic spring wheat, organic whole buckwheat, and Eden Sea Salt. Delicious served in dashi seasoned with shoyu soy sauce. Low sodium.
- EDEN Organic Udon - the popular traditional noodle is ideal served in the shoyu soy sauce broth, dashi. Made from organic spring wheat and Eden Sea Salt. Low sodium.
- Easy EDEN Recipe Booklet - 40 pages of pleasing, quick and easy recipes.