Organic U.S.A. family farm hard red spring wheat, selected for purity and high protein. Its high gluten content makes excellent all purpose flour for bread and baked goods. Cracked or whole wheat berries make a delicious breakfast porridge. Its sprouts brighten salads and sandwiches. 100% whole grain, rich in fiber, a good source of protein, iron, thiamin B1, niacin B3, magnesium, and copper.
* See Detailed Description for qualified FDA Health Claims
Eden Hard Red Spring Wheat is U.S.A. family organically grown and Eden selected for purity and high protein. Its high gluten content makes an excellent all purpose flour. Well suited for bread and other baked goods. Eden Hard Red Spring Wheat is the same wheat as hard red winter wheat but is planted in the spring for late summer harvest. Store it in a dry, cool, and dark area until ready to use or grind. For best results in baking, grind the wheat into flour just before using.
Eden Hard Red Spring Wheat is low in fat and saturated fat, cholesterol free, very low sodium, and rich in healthy fiber. According to the FDA, "Diets rich in whole grain and other plant foods, and low in total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol may reduce the risk of heart disease and some cancers." Also, "Low fat diets rich in fiber-containing grain products, fruits, and vegetables may reduce the risk of some types of cancer, a disease associated with many factors." Eden Hard Red Spring Wheat is a good source of protein, iron, thiamin B1, niacin B3, magnesium, and copper.
Uses for Eden Organic Hard Red Spring Wheat:
• Grind into an excellent all purpose flour that is for making bread, bagels, pizza dough, pretzels, crackers, pancakes, waffles, and a variety of yeasted baked goods such as cinnamon and dinner rolls. It is ideal for making seitan, a nourishing wheat gluten cooked in shoyu soy sauce and water, and dried wheat gluten called 'fu' in Japan
• Wash, soak, and sprout to brighten salads, sandwiches, and juices.
• Partially mill for cracked wheat cereal or wheat pilaf
• Soak and boil with Organic Eden Aduki Beans or pressure cook with brown rice. When combining with rice it's best pressure cooked so the wheat and rice are tender at the same time.
• Boil or pressure cook whole for a delightful, chewy, completely satisfying and versatile porridge.
Boiling and Pressure Cooking Directions:
Wash the wheat berries thoroughly, rinse and drain. Place in a bowl with cold water to cover and soak overnight, or 6 to 8 hours, before cooking to soften. The soaking water may be used to cook the grain. Another method is to dry roast the wheat after washing. Roast it in a heavy or cast iron skillet stirring constantly over a medium flame until the berries are golden brown and release a sweet nutty aroma.
To boil wheat put 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups of water per cup of wheat, or wheat and aduki beans, and a pinch of Eden Sea Salt, in a heavy pot. If adding aduki beans, do not add salt until the last 10 minutes of cooking. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the flame and simmer for 2 to 3 hours. For porridge add more water and cook longer until creamy. For pressure cooking place the wheat, or wheat and rice, 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water and a pinch of Eden Sea Salt in the cooker. Secure the lid and bring to pressure. Reduce flame to medium-low and cook for an hour and fifteen minutes. Remove from the flame and allow pressure to come down before removing the lid.
|Name||Hard Red Spring Wheat, Organic|
|Ingredients||Organic Whole Hard Red Spring Wheat|
|Very Low Sodium||No|
|Good Source of Fiber||No|
|Package Size||50 lb|
|Package Size Metric||22.5 kg|
|UPC Code Each||No|
|UPC Code Case||No|