- Does Eden use citric acid or other processing aids in canned tomatoes?
- Why aren't EDEN diced and whole tomatoes offered in BPA free amber glass jars?
- Is EDEN Sauerkraut pasteurized and does it contain live Lactobacillus bacteria?
- Why amber glass for tomatoes?
- Is the amber glass tomato jar lid BPA free?
- Are Eden's canned tomatoes packed in cans with enamel lining that contain bisphenol-A?
- What is the shelf life of Eden Organic canned tomatoes?
- How many tomato products does Eden offer?
- How are Eden Organic Whole Tomatoes peeled?
- Does Eden offer sodium free and low sodium canned tomatoes?
- Does Eden use citric acid or other processing aides in canned tomatoes?
- Do Eden Tomatoes contain the antioxidant lycopene?
- Are organic tomatoes higher in nutrients than non-organic?
- What's so good about Eden Tomatoes?
- How is Eden Organic Sauerkraut made?
- What is the shelf life of Eden Organic Sauerkraut?
Does Eden use citric acid or other processing aids in canned tomatoes?
Eden does not use GMO derived citric acid, lye, or other FDA allowable chemical processing aids.
Why aren't EDEN diced and whole tomatoes offered in BPA free amber glass jars?
The crushed tomatoes and sauces that Eden offers in amber glass jars are cooked prior to hot filling into amber glass jars that require no further processing. Whole and diced tomatoes require processing in a retort or pressure cooker after being packaged in cans or glass. Eden Foods' organic tomato processor is only capable of handling cans for these items, not glass jars, in the retort cooker that they have.
Is EDEN Sauerkraut pasteurized and does it contain live Lactobacillus bacteria?
Yes, in pasteurization lowered amounts. EDEN sauerkraut is heat packed and contains substantially lowered amounts of Lactobacillus bacteria. It does contain lactic acid and vitamin C, as well as other very important nutrients. Pasteurization is not sterilization. The aim and effect of pasteurization is to 1.) reduce the bacteria in a food that causes spoilage and 2.) eliminate the bacteria that are pathogenic. In contrast to sterilization, pasteurization is not intended to kill all microorganisms, only those that can cause illness or disease, and those that would cause the food to spoil. All sauerkraut merchandised unrefrigerated is heat-packed (pasteurized) to provide shelf life without refrigeration. Research has found that organic acids such as lactic acid found in EDEN sauerkraut aids in digestion of cabbage and aids in digestion of food in general. The process of fermenting cabbage also produces isothiocyanates, a class of antioxidant-like compounds. Other research shows that cabbage and other cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, kale, collards, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts are the best source of nutrients called indoles. Sauerkraut that is not heat-packed is found in the refrigerated section of markets and does contain live bacteria, but it does not keep for long and must be consumed shortly after purchase. It is not uncommon that some refrigerated sauerkrauts are also heat treated or pasteurized, but do not indicate this on their packages.
Why amber glass for tomatoes?
The driving force for Eden packaging tomatoes in amber glass was the avoidance of bisphenol-A (BPA) in high acid food cans, and the failure of can manufacturers to make suitable BPA free cans for high acid foods such as tomatoes, other than some cheap alternatives using PVC. Light rays damage color and flavors of food by causing chemical change. Photo-oxidation (light damage) is systemic in food stores where fluorescent lighting that is particularly damaging reduces food quality. Amber glass is difficult to get and more costly, but it best protects food. Eden offers the only tomatoes in the U.S.A. packed in amber glass, protecting flavor and nutrients from light damage. These are organic EDEN Spaghetti Sauces, Pizza Pasta Sauce, Crushed Tomatoes, Crushed Tomatoes with Sweet Basil, and Crushed Tomatoes with Roasted Onion & Garlic. More information can be found here.
Is the amber glass tomato jar lid BPA free?
A search for a lid for our glass jars again confirmed that 'there's no such thing as a perfect food package.' Regardless, we found the best there is.
The inside of the twist caps has two coats of sealer between the food and the metal of the cap. The first applied coating has BPA present. The second protective sealant does not, isolating the first coating from contact with the jar's contents.
Potential for migration of BPA is reduced by the following:
- An additional protective vinyl base overcoat facing the food, isolating the epoxy BPA containing coating. The coating containing BPA can never be in contact with the food.
- The cap's inner surface is separated from the food by an area of air/vacuum.
- The surface area exposed to the food is substantially less for a twist cap than for canned goods.
Are Eden's canned tomatoes packed in cans with enamel lining that contain bisphenol-A?
Eden Organic Tomatoes are packed in steel cans coated with a baked on r-enamel lining. Due to the acidity of tomatoes, the lining is epoxy based and may contain a minute amount of bisphenol-A, it is however in the 'non detectable' range according to independent laboratory extraction tests. The test was based on a detection level at 5 ppb (parts per billion).
What is the shelf life of Eden Organic canned tomatoes?
Three years. A 'Best if Used by' date code is on the top of each jar or can. The code starts with the year's four digits followed by a two-letter month abbreviation and then the numbers of the day. Example: 2013MA05
How many tomato products does Eden offer?
- Two Spaghetti Sauces; salted and unsalted in 25 ounce amber glass
- Two Pizza Pasta Sauces in 14 ounce amber glass and 14.5 ounce can
- Ten Crushed Tomatoes; plain, with organic basil, and with roasted organic onion and garlic in 14 ounce and 25 ounce amber glass jars and 15 ounce and 28 ounce cans
- Five Diced Tomatoes; plain, with organic basil, with roasted onion and garlic, and with green chilies in 14.5 ounce and 28 ounce cans
- Two Whole Tomatoes; plain and with organic basil in 28 ounce cans
How are Eden Organic Whole Tomatoes peeled?
Eden Whole Tomatoes are hot water bathed before mechanically peeling. No lye is used. All of our other tomatoes are made with unpeeled to deliver the best taste and most nutrients.
Does Eden offer sodium free and low sodium canned tomatoes?
Yes. All Eden canned Tomatoes are made without salt added and are sodium free or low sodium.
Does Eden use citric acid or other processing aides in canned tomatoes?
No. Eden does not use citric acid, lye, or other processing aides.
Do Eden Tomatoes contain the antioxidant lycopene?
Yes. Crushed Tomatoes: 1.281mg; Diced Tomatoes: 4.55mg; Whole Tomatoes: 5.2mg; Pizza Pasta Sauce: 7.2mg; and Spaghetti Sauce 14.4mg of lycopene per serving. Cooked tomatoes are higher in lycopene than raw because cooking renders the lycopene more assimilable and it tends to concentrate it. Tomatoes cooked with oil increases availability and absorption of lycopene. EDEN Pizza Pasta Sauce and Spaghetti Sauce are cooked with Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil and provide us a higher amount of lycopene because of the olive oil. Although lycopene is very beneficial, researchers have found that it is not just the lycopene alone that makes for the healthy benefits. In whole cooked tomatoes lycopene works with other phytonutrients and vitamins that make it much more effective than lycopene supplements that are solely isolates or synthetic.
Are organic tomatoes higher in nutrients than non-organic?
A 10 year study conducted at the University of California "comparing organic tomatoes with standard produce found almost double the level of flavonoids - a type of antioxidant." They measured two flavonoids - quercetin and kaempferol and found, "that on average they were 79% and 97% higher respectively in the organic tomatoes than in the conventionally grown." The increase in flavonoids they say "is probably due to the absence of chemical fertilizers in organic farming."
What's so good about Eden Tomatoes?
Eden Tomatoes are organically grown on a third generation family farm in the Thames River Delta of southern Ontario, Canada. We use only the finest tomatoes ripened to redness by Nature alone. After harvesting they are taken to our processor, where they are cleaned, uniformly small cut (referred to as fancy cut), and cooked within hours of harvest to capture their garden fresh flavor. The Canadian Inspector/Grader for canned tomatoes had this to say about Eden Organic Tomatoes, "The nicest tomatoes I've ever seen." They are rich in antioxidant vitamins C and A, provide 4 to 15 percent daily value of potassium and they're canned without salt added.
How is Eden Organic Sauerkraut made?
It's made from organic cabbage, chosen especially for its sauerkraut making qualities and fermented with Eden Sea Salt for six weeks, in stainless steel vats. During fermentation, the vats of sauerkraut are tended in a manner similar to a fine winery. Over seventy years of experience, traditional methods, and one family processing from soil to the jar gives Eden Organic Sauerkraut its homemade, old world character.
What is the shelf life of Eden Organic Sauerkraut?
Two years. Our production code is located on the top of the lid and reflects the Julian Date Code.
Date Code Example: 9137W 1SKOG 09:35
- The first digit (9) is the last digit of the year: 2009
- The next three digits (137) are the 137th day of the year 2009, which was May 17th.
- The following letter (W) is the shift code. W=morning, X=afternoon, Y=evening.
- The next five digits (1SKOG) are an abbreviation for Organic Sauerkraut.
- The last four digits (09:35) are the military time of day the Sauerkraut was canned, which was nine thirty five a.m.