Is your facility free of allergens?
It is in the areas, and at the times, that we want it to be. Eden Foods is highly proactive where it comes to allergens. Policies and systems/programs to prevent allergen contamination of non-allergen food items at our facilities are as follows:
1. Eden Foods's Food Safety program includes an Allergen Control Plan that is regularly reviewed and updated as necessary
2. Eden HACCP (hazard analysis critical control point) plans include the identification of allergens and their control from receiving through handling, packaging, and storage, the entire time they are in our possession
3. Allergen awareness training and re-training for employees, supervisors, and management
4. Allergen color code tags to identify allergens by name when ingredients are received and stored
5. Segregation of allergen foods by type of allergen from non-allergen foods in storage and in handling to prevent allergen cross-contact
6. Dedicated, and allergen color coded, utensils and containers (paddles, scoops, buckets, etc.)
7. Documented production scheduling designed to maintain maximum separation of allergen items from non-allergen items
8. Proper and thorough cleaning of production and handling equipment immediately after an allergen containing run, followed by documented Quality Control Department allergen swab tests to ensure equipment is returned to "free of allergens" condition
9. Allergen surveys and inspections of Eden suppliers to review the presence of allergens and supplier practices to avoid cross-contact with allergens that may be present
10. Allergen ingredients are clearly identified on all Eden Foods' labels
11. Quality Control Department oversight of each production run to assure that correct labels are being used for every item, and that employees are thoroughly following allergen control procedures
12. Third-party, government regulatory, and food safety audits of Eden's Allergen Control Plan and documented practices to ensure compliance with food safety regulations and properly functional standards
13. Foods identified as gluten-free are regularly and randomly tested by a most reputable laboratory to ensure that gluten is not present at the low detection limits of either 10 ppm or 5 ppm depending upon what product is being tested
Do any Eden Foods contain dairy derivatives, eggs, gelatin, or animal by products?
None of our foods contain dairy derivatives, eggs, gelatin, or animal derived by-products. Our teabags are crimped sealed and are not glued. Our probiotic supplement, Bifa-15, does contain lactose and gelatin. Eden Bonito Flakes (fish flakes) is the only non- vegetarian, non-vegan food that we offer.
Does Eden employ Quality Control measures to ensure safe and consistent food?
Yes. Every food offered by Eden is subject to numerous detailed and stringent Quality Control (QC) procedures. Eden's United States facilities are inspected and rated by strict third party AIB International inspectors. Eden's consistent high ratings reflect a deep, company wide commitment to food safety, sanitation, and HACCP management programs. One example is Edensoy, with over 240 quality control checks to ensure a consistent and safe product. In addition to the guards and monitors that are part of the machines, a package of soymilk is pulled from production every half hour and thoroughly tested in every regard to be sure it meets our stringent standards.
Does Eden conduct tours for the public?
Yes, on a limited basis. Please contact Mr. Jonathan Wilson of our Marketing Department at (517) 456-7424, extension 203 for information. It is our desire to share the knowledge of what Eden Foods is doing with as many people as possible, but there are times when tours are not logistically possible due to staff availability, productions schedules or previous commitments in scheduling.
Our headquarters are in Clinton, Michigan. Our processing facilities are located in Clinton, Detroit, and Saline, Michigan; Eaton, Indiana; and Montreal, Quebec; so, a complete tour would require an enormous effort. Our customers and trading partners always receive priority.
Why does Eden carry foods that are kosher?
Because, due to our stringent purchasing disciplines they already were, so we had them certified. And yes, Eden is committed to offering certified kosher and pareve foods. In order for any food product to be certified kosher, its actual production must be Rabbinically supervised. The Rabbi visits on a regular basis. He inspects the machines prior to production and verifies that every step required by Jewish Law has been observed and fulfilled. Not all Eden foods are kosher, but 91 percent are; and all kosher foods offered by Eden are certified and marked with a Circle-K on the package.