We are in high summer - BBQs, picnics, pool parties, time at the shore, travel, vacations... We hope everyone enjoys it all.
Enjoy the Summer. All the best to you and yours!
Seven Levels of Cooking
- Mechanical Level - no artistry, just food to fill and feed, taste not important.
- Sensory Level - appeals to the five senses and fills the belly, that is all.
- Sentimental Level - addresses an emotional memory, looks good, tastes good, fills and feeds.
- Intellectual Level - aimed at nutritional needs or academic, speculative, theoretical, artistic targets.
- Social Level - what people likes to eat when they gather, draw people together socially for fellowship.
- Ideological Level - appropriate food based upon traditional wisdom and best thinking about wholesomeness, sustaining, and strengthening.
- Supreme Level - centering, balancing, and aimed at activating repair and development of sound judgement, intuition, and loving energies.
What you cook and the way it is cooked affects one's judgment. In traditional Japan, Shojin Ryori was the cooking developed to assist monks toward enlightenment. It is purely vegan and harmonizes yin and yang energies in its selection and preparation to help achieve harmonious satisfaction in body, mind and spirit; a strengthened equilibrium.
We have lost track of where our food comes from, and how it affects us.